“Jogging is bad for the skin” – what about Rebounding?

Posted on: May 8, 2010
21 comments so far (is that a lot?)

Jogging — Bad For Your Skin!
With a current epidemic of obesity happening everywhere among all age groups in America, more people are taking up some form of exercise in hopes of knocking off some of that unsightly flesh. Already, some 22 million Americans make a habit of jogging for health, exercise and – believe it or not — fun.

But a Colorado plastic surgeon has made some comparisons of his jogging and non-jogging patients while they were under the knife and urges a word of caution to those who want to take up running.

“Beware of jogging,” warns Denver plastic surgeon John A. Grossman, M.D. “Jogging can be bad for your skin! It can be particularly hard on the skin of both mens’ and womens’ faces. “For your skin’s sake, give up jogging and get a bike!” he says.

Science has already learned how year after year of jogging can be hard on ankles, knees and hips. It’s because the weight of your body is multiplied by a factor of five or six every time a foot strikes the ground. Jogging downhill is especially hard on the body and the underlying collagen as well as tissues of the face, breast, thighs and buttocks.

“I’m not saying forget exercise,” adds Dr. Grossman. “Just take up some form of low-impact workout like a bicycle, an elliptical trainer or swimming. “The hard impact and repetitive up and down motion of jogging on land or on a treadmill tears collagen, the body’s building block that creates healthy, youthful skin,” he says. “Your skin is something like a rubber band — continuous stretching through bouncing up and down causes it to lose elasticity. Plus, as we age the impact is much more dramatic.”

Because Dr. Grossman has spent so many years working closely with skin during various rejuvenation surgeries, he started noticing that patients who jog had much more saggy skin everywhere on their bodies compared to non-running patients. And, the older the patient, the worse the effect. He matched notes with other plastic surgeons and eventually mentioned his observation to an exercise physiologist who said it makes perfect sense.

“I think that no amount of jogging is good,” Dr. Grossman says. Hollywood funny lady Joan Rivers would agree. She has often said, the first time she sees a jogger smiling, she’ll consider taking it up. ”

———————————————————————————————————————————————–

This is my take (Sylvia):

I can easily believe that the above is true for Jogging on hard surface and Rebounding on a hard Rebounder (like some hard bouncing spring based Rebounders). From my experience, Rebounding on a soft surface – like the one provided by the Bellicon bungee band Rebounders – brings just the contrary: A rejuvenation of the skin.

The Reason:

The movement is LOW IMPACT. It takes long to come to a stand-still in the deepest point of the mat. The body is not shocked with an abrupt stop of movement. It’s like a slow motion kind of movement. And personally, I know so many people of all age groups who rebound on the Bellicon bungee Rebounders. They say that their skin is getting firmer through Rebounding.  No problem with skin sagging. I find the study extremely interesting.  And surely what John A. Grossman says is true for jogging and Rebounding on a hard Rebounder. But for the Bellicon Rebounder, I found that it’s just the opposite.

———————————————————————————————————————————-’

PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT   Y O U R    E X P E R I E N C E   IS.

Write us below in the Comment section:

Comments
  • Paige September 7, 2010 at 2:35 am

Thank you Sylvia!

I just love my rebounder. I now know that I will always have a safe and effective form of exercise for the rest of my life.

One thing I didn’t mention before is that I do feel that rebounding has helped my complexion. I have battled acne for the past few years and since rebounding my acne seems to have pretty much cleared up. Maybe an occasional pimple but nothing like before.

I am glad that you also feel that rebounding is not bad for the skin. I know all those years of running sure did damage to mine.
    I will never run again, other than on the rebounder!

Take care,

Paige

• Sylvia September 7, 2010 at 11:32 am

Dear Paige, thank you a lot for letting us know that your complexion became better and Acne disappeared with Rebounding. That makes absolutely sense to me as the skin is our main organ for elimination of toxins. And through Rebounding your strengthen your Lymphatic System, which helps to get rid of toxins. So basically that means that you have much less toxins in your body now. Congratulations!!! Sylvia

• Sylvia September 5, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Thank you for your participation in finding the answer to this question. I am very happy to hear that Rebounding is a great exercise for you. I personally do not believe either that Rebounding is like a real face lift. But I have also not seen that it harms my skin. There is a significant difference in impact on the skin between Running (which is not so great for the skin) and Rebounding (which is at least neutral to the skin, perhaps even a bit favorable to it) under the condition that we use quality Rebounders. And with your Needak, you have a quality Rebounder. I which you a lot of continued Rebounding fun and good health! Sylvia

• Paige September 5, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I started rebounding in April, 2010, to help my lymph/ immune system. I eat healthy and exercise regularly. I love my rebounder! I have a Needak soft bounce. I use it all day, for the health bounce. Recently have amped it up and run in place and often use it instead of my regular cardio.

However, I have not felt in any way that my skin has tightened up. I am 46. I don’t think it is hurting my skin ( hope not), but it is not firming it. I also have some very faint spider veins on my face and many on my legs. Rebounding had not decreased those as some of the claims say.

I will rebound for the rest of my life. In so many ways it has helped me mentally as well as physically. Bone health alone is reason to rebound! But I do not believe the claims that it tightens the skin or helps with veins. I might believe that strengthening the cells can thicken skin as retin a does (improving collagen turnover), but tighten? No, not IMO. Especially not enough to claim it works as a face lift! I had a face lift at age 40 (yes I was a runner from age 13 to 40). Rebounding could not have done that for me, much as I like to believe it.

I think people, myself included, sometimes read claims on products and they want to believe so badly they convince themselves they see improvement.

• George Greene July 24, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Does rebounding support high intensity internal training? If so, what is the procedure?

• Berny July 2, 2010 at 8:04 am

I am an older person. Noticed a year ago sagging skin on neck area. Since I have been rebounding, the skin is tighter and firming parts of body. I am in complete agreement -”rebounding” makes all the sense in the world to keep the body in shape in more ways than one!!

• Sylvia July 2, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Awesome, Berny! Thank you for letting us know about your success in getting a tighter skin through Rebounding. Sylvia

• Joan Randall July 8, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Hi Berny,

I am an “older person” too and thinking about buying a rebounder. Can you tell me if it has been a good experience for you? And, how long have you been doing it and some of the results?

Joan (in California)

• Laure June 7, 2010 at 7:42 pm

And besides, there are rebounding enthusiasts who have testified that they feel like they’ve had a “face lift” after spending some time rebounding.

• Laure June 7, 2010 at 7:40 pm

The doctor may be right, of course, but I wonder if that is all there is to the story….the devoted joggers I know are almost fanatically concerned about avoiding fat, and eat low-fat, carb-loading diets that can age skin. Skin ages when glycation occurs – when sugars and proteins cross-link with tissues, resulting in wrinkles, to put it simplistically. They are unlikely to be eating enough healthy raw fats for cell health…fats are much better “moisturizers” for our skin than plain tap water. I know plenty of older joggers and they look so weathered and wrinkly and old. I imagine the combination of a healthy-fat-fearing diet combined with running in the sun all the time is damaging their skin faster than the non-jogging population. At least, this seems to be true about the joggers I know.

The cleansing action of green juices and smoothies combined with the lymphatic pumping of rebounding will help skin look younger…especially if you also avoid/minimize cooked and processed fats in favor of avocados, raw butter, fresh flax oil, etc.

• Paula May 21, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I have rebounded since Jan 09 & it is such a stress release that I can not imagine it is bad for my skin. I do not see that my face or any other skin on my body has started to sag & I am 47 years old. I think my skin looks better as I lose the stress lines every time I get on it. As the muscles tighten up on my legs & middle my skin looks better. So I don’t agree that rebounding is bad for your skin.

Paula

• Pamela Whelan May 21, 2010 at 11:56 am

When I started rebounding I also started green juicing so my skin has never looked better.

I can only imagine that the cleansing effect rebounding has on the lymph system can only improve your skin.

I just love my pretty pink Bellicon rebounder.

Pamela

• Sylvia May 21, 2010 at 1:52 pm

AWESOME, Pamela! Thanks for sharing!

• Cheryl May 21, 2010 at 9:28 am

Sylvia – I think my skin looks better since rebounding on the bungee rebounder. I recently took a trip to Texas to see my grandsons and my daughter’s mother-in-law made a comment regarding how good my skin looked. I told her I had been using the rebounder almost every day. I am very pleased with the rebounder. My grandchildren love the rebounder. You should see my two year old grandson using the rebounder. He is really good at it. Thank you again for a great product. I wish all my relatives could have rebounder like mine. Take care, Cheryl

• Sylvia May 21, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Dear Cheryl, It is wonderful to hear that your skin became better through Rebounding. I experience the same and it makes total sense to me. Thanks a lot for sharing!!! Sylvia

• Vickie May 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Would this include the Athletic Rebounder? It doesn’t feel hard to me but then I’ve never jumped on a bungee rebounder either, in order to have something to compare it to.

• Sylvia May 19, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Hi Vickie,
      It would apply to the Athletic Rebounder if somebody would use it who is much too light for it. You know that the Athletic Rebounder is for a weight from 200 to 350 lbs. So if somebody with 110 lbs would bounce on it, it would be much too hard. But for those people there is the Dynamic Rebounder and of course the bungee Rebounders – which I prefer. The Dynamic Rebounder and the Athletic (when used for the right weight people), has an excellent bounce – very even. In order to produce this high quality bounce, Bellicon not even uses excellent springs, but also found out that when they alternate the direction of the springs, they get a much more even bounce. Therefore those Rebounders have alternating left and right turning springs.

• Debra May 14, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Hi Sylvia so you mentioned rebounding on hard bouncing spring based rebounder mats, this would not include my dynamic rebounder would it?

• Sylvia May 22, 2010 at 11:40 am

Dear Debra,
      the Dynamic and the Athletic Rebounder (if used for the correct weight) are fine and won’t produce any skin problems. They are excellent in their bounce return – as even and smooth as you can get it from a spring based Rebounder. Best, Sylvia

• Barbara May 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Today is the first day I took a look at the Blog. I came with the intention to ask this exact question. Is rebounding good for your skin?! Thank you for the info. I imagine rebounding is rejuvenating for all of the body.

• Sylvia May 22, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hi Barbara, I hope a lot of our Rebounding friends are sharing their experiences about Rebounding and their skin here. Then we can really get an idea how things are. Best, Sylvia