How to stand correctly on a Rebounder

How to stand correctly on a Rebounder

- How to stand correctly on a Rebounder

- How to avoid Pronation

- What is Pronation, what is Supination

- About our Feet

Comments
  • Eric Rosen March 15, 2011 at 1:17 am

I’m currently researching Bellicon vs. Cellerciser. Perhaps, you’d be so kind as to answer a couple of quick questions…

* In the safety section of Bellicon’s site it says that bungees may wear or fray and need replacing. As such, what makes the bungee approach superior to springs?

* If I do go with Bellicon, is it safe to order a model designed for a weight range heavier than my own?

* Are people who are flat-footed necessarily more pronated?

Thank you Sylvia for your video on pronating. It’s awesome that you’re enabling newcomers like me to be become aware of something so critical that most folks overlook… and before the jumping begins, no less!

• Sylvia March 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Dear Eric,
      Thank you for your questions. I am happy to answer them.
      1. It is correct that bungee bands wear out. They are wear out items – just like tennis shoes: the more you use them, the quicker they wear out. The average is 1 1/2 years of usage before you need to exchange them. This is the “downside” of bungee bands. The upside is that of course the bounce of a QiBounder (bungee band Rebounder) is much nicer than the bounce of a spring based Rebounder and it is more efficient. The upside is also that exchanging bungee cords is way easier than exchanging a broken spring. And springs break. I heard had client from all different spring based Rebounder brands that told me that they experienced springs breaking. No exception.
      2. It is always “safe” to go with stronger bungee cords then those you would need for your weight categorie. However, if you go way over your category (for instance if you weigh 130 lbs and you take ultra bungee cords) you would not experience a very bounce Rebounder. The Rebounder bounce would be than similar to a spring based Rebounder.
      3. Usually people who are flat footed pronate. In most the cases they FIRST pronate and all pronated feet become more flat footed. You can test that on your own feet: Just pronate by purpose (let your ankles heavily fall into the middle). You will see that your foot becomes very flat. Then do the contrary: Put more weight on the outside of your heals so that your heal comes in a 90 degree angle to the floor: Your arch will bridge again and the flat foot becomes much less flat.
      4.Thanks for your kind words in regards to my Pronating video! All the best and if you have supplementary questions, please feel free asking them! Sylvia

• Erin September 11, 2010 at 12:37 am

Hello, I am using a rebounder with pronated (flat feet). However I am Deaf and I cannot understand your video above. There is no captioning available. How can I get simple, clear instructions on how to rebound with my flat feet? Do I wear my sneakers with arch supports? I was rebounding for a week and my knees are incredibly sore, have never had this before in my life. Thanks!

• Sylvia September 13, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Dear Erin, Thank you very much for writing me. I do have an explanation of Pronating HERE on my website where I explain what you can do when you pronate. And this is independent from using a Rebounder or not. If you cannot stop Pronating at all, I would recommend to buy Anti-Pronating Shoes. Nike makes them. I describe this on the bottom of
      the website link above. Please let me know if this answers your question. Which brand of Rebounder do you use? It might also be that the soreness of your rebounder does not only come from your posture but also from the missing quality of your Rebounder. Kind regards, Sylvia

• EMILYTEAGARDEN July 17, 2010 at 11:37 am

Hello ~
    I am new to your site and to computers and can’t find your archives to see other rebounding videos ?

thank you for your help! I can’t wait to get one of your rebounders as I am using a cheap one and know there is a big difference!

Sincerely,
    Emily

• Sylvia July 17, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Dear Emily, Thank you for taking the time to write this comment. You find all our Rebounding videos on the website http://www.QiBounding.com . Here is the link for all Rebounding videos for beginners.
      You say, that you would like to purchase a Bellicon Rebounder. Here is the link to our Product list. I am happy to help you finding the Rebounder that is the ideal one for you! Kind regards, Sylvia (founder of QiBounding)

• Singh July 11, 2010 at 10:05 am

You have explained in very simple, artisitic way how the feet should be, not when you’re rebounding but also in normal life. Thanks for the video and I like you standing on the wooden kitchen board to demonstrate how your feet should be aligned. :) .

• Sylvia July 11, 2010 at 11:37 am

Hi Singh, Thanks a lot for your comment. Yes, I know… the kitchen board..! I got a lot of funny remarks about this. At that time it was the only flat thing which I had in my house to demonstrate the feet. So I used it. Happy to hear – also in your other comment – that you appreciate our videos. All the best to you and happy Rebounding! Sylvia

• Nancy Downes June 12, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Which rebounder should I consider for a beginner as myself? How much rebounding is appropriate per day for a good workout?

• Sylvia June 14, 2010 at 5:31 am

Dear Nancy, thank you for your question. I always recommend to START slowly with Rebounding and then build up from there. Start, where your body is NOW and gradually train yourself to become more tonic and strong. When you buy a Rebounder, for the first days do sequences in 2 – 5 minutes. You can do 3 – 5 sequences per day already. Always listen to your body. If it feels good, you can continue. If you feel that’s a bit too much, then reduce. After a week or so (depending on the level you start), you can go to longer sequences like 5 – 10 minutes 3 – 5 times per day. Later, you can do whatever feels right to you. As you see in our blog “How long and how often do you bounce”, people have different lengths of time. 20 – 30 minutes per day would be great. If you do 2 weeks in a row 20 minutes per day, you will recognize a significant difference in toning of your body after these 2 weeks.
      Concerning which Rebounder: I very much recommend the world’s best Rebounders, which are the Bellicon bungee band Rebounders. They are just awesome and you can get them customized to your weight. Best, Sylvia

• Heather Reynolds April 9, 2010 at 2:11 pm

My new Bellicon rebounder is on the way but I watched this video with much interest because i do pronate. I’ve always wondered if there was a way to regain my arch rather than just prop it up with orthotics. I was so inspired to hear that it was possible to change this habit. Then the trouble started because i decided to walk around barefoot and simply stop pronating. Now both knees are quite sore. I don’t know how to do it slowly enough to allow my body to adjust. You mentioned the Alexander Technique and then I happened upon a flyer advertising an Alexander Technique workshop being held tonight, so I think I will go check it out. Do you have any other advice for making this shift without causing damage? Thank you so much for such insightful instruction.

• Sylvia April 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Dear Heather, Thanks a lot for your answer. I am happy that you are starting on working to get a better feet alignment. First, you need to know that pronating is a habit and you cannot just stop habits like with an “on” and “off” light switch. You used to pronate for many years and it takes a while to get your body changing this habit. In the Alexander Technique you will learn exactly that: It takes time and also we break up large movement patterns into baby steps. So my recommendation to you is to train daily on the correct foot positioning. However don’t do it already in walking. This is too complex of a movement. Train it in standing and get a real feel of your body of how it feels when you pronate and how it feels when you stand correctly. Let your body remember the feeling when you stand correctly. And then, you might do one step forward and correct your feet positioning and again let your body feel, how that feels. It is nearly impossible to just get this information while walking. And the result you got from walking while trying not to pronate shows that you did something wrong. It is too complex. So, just do a training session once or twice a day and do not stress yourself during the day. It will change gradually. Let me know how it goes. All the best. Sylvia

• Gail Petersen February 19, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I “stand” corrected and it feels really right to my body. Something so important for our body is really so simple. Thank you sylvia…. I love the demonstration it is so easy to under”stand”.

• Jane April 9, 2010 at 10:18 am

Hi
      I’m just starting … I have “flat feet”, so I obviously pronate. I do have $$ inserts for my tennis shoes to help with this. Should I wear the shoes on the Bellicon, or should I try to “train” myself to do it properly with my sticky socks instead.

It seems like doing it barefoot (w/socks) is the recommended way …

??? thanks…

• Sylvia April 9, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Dear Jane, Thank you for your question which is one of those we hear quite often. That’s why I have answered in in our FAQ. Here is the link Bouncing with shoes, sneakers, or barefoot? Please let me know if this answers your specific question. Best, Sylvia

• KYLEIGH February 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I just watched this video thinking that it would NOT really help me
    LOW and BEHOLD this is EXACTLY what I was doing WRONG
    I was FULL on PRONATING

As a matter of fact to NOT PRONATE / have feet in CORRECT position – feels unnatural since it seems my feet fall naturally into this PRONATED position

I watched this video because I was noticing aches beginning in my knees after rebounding

THIS VIDEO was incredibly HELPFUL !

• Sylvia February 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm

@Kyleigh: Happy to hear that the info helped you, Kyleigh! Bounce in good health. The Rebounding exercise poster is on the way to you. Warm regards,Sylvia

• jeannebs1 February 4, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I have just begun rebounding and, unfortunately, feel discomfort in my left foot when just doing a health bounce. After having surgery to relieve plantar fasciitis I now have no arch in my left foot. Is there anything that can help me alleviate the discomfort when rebounding or am I doomed to a life without a Rebounder? I can only bear rebounding for about 2 minutes before the pain becomes too much.

• andrew p. June 25, 2010 at 7:51 am

Tollfree: 877-665-3327 this number is from the qibounding website, you can call them about your problem. It’s usually sylvia thats answer the phone.

• Sylvia June 25, 2010 at 8:17 am

Dear Jean,
      I have overlooked your comment and got the attention today through Andrew’s comment. Have you ever tried to rebound with sneakers with a special arch support? That might be helpful. Of course you can do all those exercises where you are not standing but sitting or laying on the Rebounder and some of the upper body aerobic exercises that we show you on this website you can do also while kneeling on the Rebounder. Also I would start to do – independently from Rebounding – special feet training. Hopefully you have somebody in your area who offers this. Let me know how you are doing in some months. Kind regards, Sylvia